Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Easter weekend!

I'm trying my best to catch up on this year's events as fast as I can.  I didn't realize how far behind I slacked off.  Although I'm recapping my mother's struggles on losing her husband, it's important to share how I suffer from depression as well.  I was mourning her loss, and looking back, I didn't realize how wrapped up I was getting in her circumstance.  I was never really fond of my mother's husband.  But seeing him suffer the past few months of his life was an eye opening experience for me.  I felt his pain, and watched him wither to a man who was desperately trying to stay alive for his wife.  It broke my heart.
I know they loved each other so much.  And seeing her try to live a life without him has been hard.  I think mostly my mom feels alienated about her loss.  None of her sisters or brother has yet gone through the process of losing someone.  The fact still remains that EVERYONE AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER WILL LOSE SOMEONE THEY LOVE.  It's a sad fact of life.  There's simply no way around it. 
It's also important to know how my spirituality has strengthened over the years.  I have my issues with the church, but for the most part, I've gained a new restored faith in God and the world around me.  I recognize how short life is, and although we all face our darkest times during our hardships, Life is truly a beautiful thing!  What happened to my mother is not a singled out situation.  They still managed to have a long marriage.  They still have the memories they shared together.  No one can take them away!  Not even God!  It's what we carry in our hearts and how we perceive that love that makes a difference in our lives.  It goes the same for choosing happiness over sorrow.  Because when you really think about it, there's no point in having sorrow in your heart when love fulfills it.
ALWAYS love one another, be kind to one another.  Even people with all the money in the world STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS YOU DO, (just with different factors). 
I think what has helped me out at this point in my life is the moments I share with my friends.  They are my 2nd family, and have been there for me through thick and thin.  I can always count on them no matter what.  I also have to point out that I have weeded out the bad seeds over the years and have a close knit circle of friends that I know have my good intentions at heart.  Sometimes not everyone is going to fit into your ideal definition of what a friend should be.  But that's another story of self discovery...
During Easter weekend I participated on the Bunny Hop 5K run/ walk.  I'm always down for some type of physical activity, and this run is what I desperately needed.  We woke up early and headed down by Lake Shore Drive to get a good start.  Of course we ended up running late, (no pun intended), but we caught up with the rest of the runners and finished in no time.  What I liked about this race was the little party they held afterwards.  There was a petting zoo for kids, as well as an Easter egg hunt!  We headed down to grab brunch afterwards and spent the afternoon together.  I had a blast. 
On Easter Sunday I attended mass, and later on, had dinner with my dad and his wife.  It was a perfect weekend to spend time with my loved ones...
Let's do this!

And we're off!

Words of encouragement on the way to the finish line...

Easter dinner with the family.

My dad won't sit still!  lol
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment