Thursday, August 20, 2015

Memorial Day!

On Memorial Day Monday my friend hosted a small gathering at her new condo.  She wanted people to bring champagne while she took care of the grill.  I thought that was a splendid way to spend the holiday!  Girl talk and enjoying the hot weather.  It was officially HOT so I busted out the shorts.  The funny thing about switching seasons is looking through your summer stash of clothes.  I got rid of 2 bags full of out-dated clothes and gave them away to friends and family.  As we're now in the middles of August I'll be doing the same thing again for fall/winter clothes.  I've been trying to be more thoughtful on my spending as well.  I worked in retail for over 10 years and accumulated a huge wardrobe over the years.  I've also learned a thing or two on what to invest in and what to be thrifty with.
First of all, summer clothes basically consist of shorts, tees, and tanks.  And here in Chicago, the humidity is what makes it feel scorching.  I try to wear breathable materials such as cotton because it helps dealing with sweat.  If I wear a pricey silk item, I'm consciously aware that that sweat won't absorb as well.  The last thing you want is to wear a sweaty silk top trying to look cute.  Polyester tops work better only if they're sleeveless (since it's not a natural fabric).  In this end, it's best to go "cheap" for summer clothes in natural cotton and skip out wearing the pricier silk items since they do not work well in humidity.
Dresses,  Dresses are a sensitive subject for me because I'm not a dress girl.  I have friends, though, that ONLY wear dresses in their wardrobe, so I understand how dresses have an impact when it comes to shopping.   I do although have a rule of thumb when it comes to dresses.  If a dress fits you perfectly, and you absolutely love it, no matter what the occasion the dress is for (cocktail, day dress, clubbing, etc.), BUY IT.  There were times in my life that I did buy a dress for just that reason alone, and it has worked for me over the years.  I have a beautiful white wrap dress that I bought 10 years ago and I still get compliments on where I got it from.  I've worn it a bunch of times and it hasn't failed me once.  In this factor, price does not matter.  Whether it's high end, or from forever 21, I still take extra care of my dresses regardless, mostly because I want to have multiple wears out of it.  If I do buy a dress, it's because I absolutely am in love with it, plain and simple.  Occasions will arise out of no where and you'll be glad you can rock your beautiful dress.  Patience is the key.
I've had my share of impulse buying and that has never worked for me, mostly because you're buying something for the sake of buying.  You just want to walk out with something in your hand and that's crazy because you're not even sure if you like what you just bought.  Try to purchase items you're in love with and you won't go wrong. 
Shoes are definitely an investment item, so there you might spend a pretty penny.  It has been my experience that my pricier shoes have lasted longer over the years AND bottom line, they are more comfortable than my cheaper shoes.  They are simply made better so it's best that you invest in shoes and get your money's worth.
The following weekend I went to a country concert at Joe's on Weed Street with my friend who had an extra ticket.  I rarely do country outings but I had a good time watching the show.  Joe's reminds me of the spots I visited in Nashville, so if you want to do the live-country music-scene, go to Joe's.   
Memorial Day BBQ with champagne and these lovely ladies!

Checking out Cadillac3 at Joe's on Weed Street!

They rocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment