Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Let's celebrate!

Talk about having the holiday blues!  The mood in Chicago is very grim.  The Chicago Police is under investigation.  The mayor is constantly defending his actions involving the Laquan McDonald shooting.  Not to mention there's protests happening all around the city.  Everyone wants answers.  The upcoming presidential election has the topic of terrorism on their agenda.  As well as controversial remarks being made involving Muslims in our country.  It does not feel like Christmas at all.
It's a sad time for our city, and for our nation.  My mother was pretty emotional about Thanksgiving without her husband.  Tomorrow me and my brothers will be coming over to help her put up the Christmas tree.  She thought about not putting it up, but we talked her out of it.  I wish she wasn't so sad.
I wish I wasn't so sad!  What gives?  I'm beginning to feel like I'm sinking.  I have friends around me that are having some tough times too.  I don't remember the last time I've been excited about anything.  It's been a while.  I wish I could pack up and leave, just to recharge my batteries.  It's not that I'm overworked.  Hey, I'm content when I AM at work, only because I get to take my mind off myself for 8 hours or so.  But Facebook and other social media reminds us of the world we're living.  A world that is so unsettling.  A world that is unfamiliar to us all.  Not only do we know how scary things can get, it's HOW we handle things that is making me worried.  I miss my old life.
When I returned from Italy back in September, Labor Day had passed.  I remember trying to adjust to my jet lag before I headed back to work.  I walked in and my co-workers noticed right away something was wrong.  I felt lost in translation.  Flying on a Dublin flight to Paris, then walking the streets by myself, jumping on a mini plane to Bari.  Then spending two weeks all around Italy had taken it's toll on me.  Not to mention landing in Chicago and feeling the energy there among the people.  I've been in contact with Irish, French, Italians and now Chicagoans in a matter of 14 days.  It's the most drastic change I've encountered in a while.  I felt so lost.  I still don't know where I'd rather be.
I've obviously adjusted back to my life.  But now things are back to the unfamiliar.  In my own city.  In my own country.  I'm wondering if people around the world feel the same uneasy feeling I do.
Within the following week from being back in Chicago, I attended a dinner for one of my friends for her birthday.  It was at a Tapas restaurant out in Niles called Café Marbella.  The food was delicious.  I remembered tasting the food and thinking to myself how different it was from the Italian food I've been having the past two weeks.  Yet it was still delightfully good.  Maybe a trip to Spain is in my near future?
Afterwards, we didn't know where to go.  We figured let's hop on the expressway and by Rio Nightclub.  We made our way inside and mingled for a bit.  We decided to head downtown.  We passed up Underground and noticed the line wasn't so long.  Then we found parking.  A sign!  Let's see if this is possible. 
Luckily we didn't wait long.  We walked in and had a blast.  Some of the girls in our group have never been to Underground and they loved it.  A table full of men invited us over.  They were at a wedding reception earlier.  We had a great time!  I was happy the birthday girl was enjoying herself.  She deserved the best for her birthday.  It was good times.
It seems so long ago that night.  I hope things look up soon.  I miss me.
Café Marbella in Niles

The birthday girl with her friends

She was happy we made it to her dinner. 

Checking out Rio Nightclub for a bit.

I'm glad I wore my ankle boots and not heels.  It turned out to be a long night!

At Underground Nightclub.  It seemed so long ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment