Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A sign of the times ahead...

I am glad Thanksgiving is tomorrow.  For one, there's so much turmoil going on in the news.  I just want to hangout with my mom and hope she will be ok.  My mom lost her husband earlier in the year and I know lately she's been more emotional due to the holidays arriving.  It won't be easy for her, but I want her to know that me and my brothers will take care of her the best that we could.  As far as the state of the world, it's heartbreaking there's been more terror attacks since Paris less than 2 weeks ago.  I am saddened that there seems no resolution in the near future.  And now, as far as Chicago is concerned, our local news has spread throughout the country with the release of the dash cam video involving Laquan McDonald.  Our city was on high alert for possible rioting last night.  The mood here has completely changed.  It's impossible to look forward to the holidays when there's so much tension in the air.
What a difference a few months makes.  I wonder now if traveling will ever be the same for me.  Especially when I try my best to adjust to my surroundings.  I am learning so much from other people from different parts of the world.  I pray that we can have a peaceful holiday tomorrow with friends and family.  Love can conquer all if we try harder with one another.  I believe this!
Back to recapping my trip to Italy.  We checked out in the morning after we had a fulfilling breakfast at our wonderful hotel.  We asked if we leave the car there with our luggage and they were fine with it.  See?  It doesn't hurt to ask!  We found the spot where we could take the ferry out to Capri.  A word of advice.  We should have bought tickets the day before when we first arrived in Sorrento.  We didn't and now we were standing in line worrying if we were able to get on the next boat ride out.  Luckily we got on and were excited to checkout the island of Capri!
First of all, I am nervous about boats.  I will say that it was a 20 minute ride and I  don't feel much movement (yay!).  We landed and knew we were restricted with time.  We had to catch the 4pm ferry ride out.  Unfortunately the 6pm was not available today.  With no explanation why, we had no choice.  We did a quick walk through of Capri.  For me it was the most pretentious place we've visited here in Italy.  I'm also embarrassed to say I also saw many Americans and they were not the nice ones either.  Lots of Paris Hilton/ Brandon Davis types.  Rich and spoiled.  Capri is catered to celebrities as well, so there is a lot of people watching going on( with each other).  At one point I felt everyone on the island was sizing each other up.  There was a Italian actor walking around but when people came up to him to ask for his autograph he shooed them away and ran off.  Oh well. 
After a while we figured there must be something else we could do here on Capri.  We couldn't go shopping for everything here was high end, such as Hermes and Louis Vuitton.  My friend also had a bad feeling about the restaurants here fearing we could be stuck with another tourist trap.  We decided to hold off on lunch and headed to find the Grotto Azura (Blue Grotto).  That itself was an ordeal.  It was getting close to 1pm and we figured we could squeeze this in.  We had to take 2 buses to get to this place, not to mention we still had to WAIT for these buses to take off.  We killed over an hour to do that.  Once we arrived we had to scrounge up some cash since they didn't take any credit cards.  We waited for about 20 minutes in line.  We were pressing for time, but we figured we already went through all the trouble to get there.  I would advise to knock this off FIRST then walk around.  But what can you do? 
When we FINALLY got on our little row boat, I was nervous as usual, but felt that I would be safe since there were a lot of people around.  We huddled together so we could fit in this little cave opening and there we were!  The Grotto Azura!  The water was an electric blue!  People were paying extra just so they can jump in the water!  It was magnetic and definitely one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life.  I was enlightened! 
Now it's time to head back down to catch a ferry.  That part sucked.  First, you can't just jump in any cab.  You have to call an order one.  We did that, and luckily waited only 15 minutes.  But the ride down was about 20 minutes and it cost us 50 euros.  OUCH!  We were practically running down the dock to catch our ferry.  Lots of anxiety but we made it.  Once we landed in Sorrento, we had some dinner before driving back home. 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone and I'll resume blogging on Friday.  Be safe and love one another!   
Breakfast in Sorrento!  I bought my dress there the day before for 20 euros.
Our ferry boat to Capri!
Waiting to get in the Blue Grotto...
Making our way down there.  See that small opening?  We had to squeeze through with our row boat...
Here we go!
It's beautiful inside!!  
Peace out!!  I had a blast!  

No comments:

Post a Comment