Thursday, November 5, 2015

Paris is Always a Good Idea Part 2

After my UNPLANNED NAP I jumped out of bed and rushed to take a shower.  I did not expect to sleep so long.  I only have 2 days in Paris and now I messed that up.  I got ready and headed back to the metra train station.  According to my research, I was suppose to get off the next 2 stops at Norte Dame.  I planned my trip very carefully, especially since I knew I was going to use public transportation a lot.  I printed up the Paris Metro map and used the same Line B that got me out of the airport.  My stop for my hotel was in Luxembourg.  The hotels around the strip were pretty pricey, so I figured if I stayed outside the strip I could save more money and make my way over there on my own.  Luckily I got there in no time.  The metro map seems easy enough.  Here in Chicago we have a pretty good transportation system as well, so I wasn't worried at all about getting lost at this point.
I got this map off the blog MaNouvelleMode...


Line B is what I used to get out of the airport and to get to my hotel.  I stayed off Luxembourg stop.





Since I was getting off at Saint-Michae-Notre-Dame I was hoping I was going to see the cathedral right away.  Umm, not so fast.  I was overwhelmed on what direction to take so I headed over to Starbucks to use the wifi hot spot and look for info on my phone.  That's another thing that can be frustrating when traveling.  Not being able to use the internet.  I did buy an international package for my cell phone use, but the data was very low.  Buying data is very expensive, but my cell phone representative advised me to take advantage of the hotspots all over Paris.  Starbucks and McDonalds were the most recognizable ones so I always looked for those two when wandering about. 
Once I located the river Seine, there it was!  Notre Dame!!  It was beautiful!  It was surreal!!  It was also closing!!  NOOOOOO!!!  By now it was 6pm and there were not letting anyone enter the cathedral.  I took my tourist pics and kept on going. 






I got this off tourist-destinations.com.  I used it as my guide line for sight-seeing...






IT"S GORGEOUS FROM THE OUTSIDE AS WELL!

Not the original love-locks bridge but they're everywhere!


A cute French restaurant...

musee d'Orsay









I had trouble finding the Eiffel Tower.  It wasn't near the river, but according to the map it was nearby.  I looked over the horizon and saw something peaking over some trees.  I knew I was looking at the tip of the tower.  I ran like a mad woman and made my way over there!  I was getting excited!! 

FINALLY!!!

Of course I had to take a selfie!  By the way, it started to rain right here...

By now I was starving!  I ended up having a French baguette sandwich. 












I ate underneath the Tower.  It was surreal to be there.  My feet were killing me at this point.  I decided to slowly head back when I realized it was getting dark.  That's when something wonderful happened!


The tower lit up!!!

Walking back from the Eiffel Tower, I ran across the Assemblee Nationale.  The city looks completely different at night.  So pretty!!  You have to check it out again

The bridges look magical!!

I looked back one more time and by now the Eiffel Tower was twinkling!!  I wish I had stayed out there longer, but I didn't want to walk back in the dark.  By now it was 9pm.  Day one accomplished!!

No comments:

Post a Comment