Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday Motivation...

The holidays are upon us and I'm already losing track of time.  I've put up my Christmas stuff over the weekend since we had a mini blizzard.  We're now in the end of November and the next couple of weeks are going to get hectic.  I'm trying my best to finish up blogging about Italy.  I left off that me and my friend were beginning to get into tense situations.  We decided to go out of town and head to Napoli to stay with some friends of hers.  It is now Monday and I still had a week left to make the most of my trip. 
Napoli was a pretty long drive.  Our first destination was to head to Pompeii and check out the ruins.  My friend warned me that there's so much to see and we would spend a couple of hours there alone.  We stopped at Avelino early into our drive for some gelato.  I'm seriously missing some right now!!  It was a hot day as usual, and that was the perfect treat. 
I AM lactose intolerant, but I never had a problem having gelato in Italy!

We got to Pompeii around 3pm.  We found the ruins right away, but the town in general was breathtaking!  I'm surprised how preserved and well kept everything was!  It was if we had stepped into a time machine.  We checked out how they lived back then, as well as the local market.  I learned so much that day! 
We were getting tired.  The sun was really beating down on us that day.  We knew we still had a drive to get to Napoli.  My friend did not want to get there so late.  
Haunting images from the ruins of Pompeii

I fear these people suffered as you can see how they tried to take cover. 

They had no time to escape the volcano's devastation...

Peaking out into a typical apartment in Pompeii...

There is a winery here as well...

So beautiful! 


I wore a maxi dress that day, but it was very hot regardless...
Painted murals...



Checking out the local market...
Add caption



The ruins of Pompeii!


Taking a little rest before I continued on.  We could have spent hours here but we were on a tight schedule...
A brick oven!

A beautiful fountain!

We arrived around 7pm and parked the car to take a quick passagiata around la central.  We wanted to check it out before the sun went down.  My friend did not feel safe around there, but I think it had to do more with the quantity of people there.  It's huge, almost like New York.  There's people everywhere.  It was overwhelming.  We picked up some desserts for later on and headed to her friend's place.  But that alone took another 2 hours just to drive to her house!  The traffic was horrendous.  So many people around, plus we got lost too.  We were starving and tired.  When we finally arrived it was 9pm.  Luckily they had dinner waiting for us.  We finally turned in after 11pm, but there was so much noise coming from the outside.  A group of teenagers were at the corner of the street and would not stop yapping.  I'm assuming people tune them out, but it was hard for us to sleep.  My friend closed the windows to block out the noise, but as the night went on, we both tossed and turned because the room got hot.  She eventually opened the windows around 3am but before you know it, it was time to get up.  It was 8am and we had to leave out with her friend.  We quickly got dressed and headed off to our next adventure.  Too bad Napoli left us tired and groggy...
Checking out the madness of Napoli...

So many people all over...


Tomorrow we are heading here to the Amalfi  Coast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment