Friday, February 19, 2016

Van Gogh's Bedrooms!

What a crazy weather week it's been!  On Valentine's Day Sunday it was snowing, and today the temperature reached up to 60 degrees!  You can't make this stuff up.  I truly believe if you live in Chicago, you can live anywhere else in the world.  We go through extreme conditions constantly. 
Last Sunday I decided to treat myself to a trip to the Art Institute.  For the 1st time ever Van Gogh's bedroom series was being showcased in the U.S!  I desperately tried to get the After Dark tickets for this exhibit, but they sold out in no time.  I figured this would be my Valentine's gift-to-myself this year, and off I went to the museum.
Valentine Sunday was the official 1st day of this reveal.  I was surprised to find the line down the street and luckily had purchased tickets online a week prior.  Since I haven't been to the Art Institute in over 15 years, I took my time to get familiar with the museum again.  I forget how beautiful it is inside.  Eventually I made my way over to the exhibit, only to find another line with a set time of 90 minutes.  YIKES!  Luckily I did not waste that much time earlier and took my place and waited. 
Leading up to that Sunday, I did brush up on my Van Gogh knowledge with an art book I had at home.  I wanted to come prepared.  It was amazing finally seeing his work right in front of my eyes!  I enjoyed the time line display leading up to the Bedroom paintings.  As troubled as he was, he did produce beautiful pieces of work.  Sometimes there's no other way to express your haunting thoughts except through canvas. 



Sunday in the Park
All of my pictures were taken from my new i phone 6s...
Considering I came right after church that morning, I loved seeing biblical art...
Here Jupitor is getting scolded by Venus while Cupid holds her back...
Monet's Water Lily Pond...
Missing Paris...
Check out that line!  Over a 90 minute wait to see Van Gogh's Bedrooms...
Van Gogh used a perspective frame which allows artists to compare the proportions of close objects to those that are far away as a means to translate three dimensional perspective onto a canvas...
Van Gogh's "A Poet's Garden"
Van Gogh's "View of the Asylum with a Pine Tree"
Gauguin's Chair- chair series

Van Gogh's chair series
Van Gogh's "Madame Roulin Rocking the Cradle"
Theo is his beloved brother who was his benefactor until his death.  Van Gogh constantly wrote to him...
1st bedroom...
2nd version
3rd version
Van Gogh's "Hospital at Saint Remy"

Had to see "Nighthawk"; a Chicago classic!
Selfie time!  I truly enjoyed Van Gogh's Bedrooms!  Need to see the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam!

No comments:

Post a Comment