Monday, February 5, 2018

New Year’s Day Dinner

One of my resolutions this year is to try to balance my time with my family and friends.  In the end, they are the people who matter to me the most.  Sometimes we get caught up on what’s new on the social scene, that we push the ones we love aside in order to meet new people and been “seen”.  I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older that pretentious people don’t matter at all.  They sometimes make you feel important, but in the end, you’re just another player added to their games.  It gets tiring after a while.  With my dad soon retiring himself, I want to make sure he transitions into this next phase much more smoothly than my mom.  He’s five years older than her and I worry that he pushes himself too hard.
His wife invited us over to have a New Year’s Day dinner.  Even though my parents divorced back when I was a kid, my dad became involved in our lives as we were adults.  I am beginning to enjoy our moments together and getting to know him more.  He’s very talkative, except when it comes to himself.  All I could do is observe and learn.
We had a nice dinner and a few laughs.  It’s nice hanging out with the men in my life.
As usual it was FREEZING on New Year’s Day.


Tamales!


No comments:

Post a Comment