Monday, September 25, 2017

Takashi Murakami: The Octopus Eats Its Own Leg

I’m back!!!  Actually I’ve been back for a week now.  Landed last week on Monday from London.  My trip was AMAZING and as usual, I had my highs and lows.  I also learned so much from this experience.  As you are aware, this was my 2nd trip back to Paris as well, and it did not disappoint.  
Once I returned, I had to catch up with work and then Hurricane Maria happened.  At first I thought it was a joke because when I left, the news was all about Hurricane Irma.  I have friends who were very nervous because they have family in Puerto Rico.  It was a tense week.  I cried so much that evening when I got home from work.  The eye of the hurricane showed up Wednesday morning.  At that point, all me and my friends could do was pray for our loved ones.  We watched it all unfold on national tv.  I never felt so helpless.
By now some of us have gotten word that our friends and family are ok.  But there are some that haven’t heard any news at all.  There is no running water or electricity throughout the island.  We are praying that people get the help they need soon.  It’s frustrating not having any communication.  
On the last week of August, me and my friend decided to go to the Takashi Murakami exhibit at the MCA during lunch.  The museum is free on Tuesdays and since I knew my trip was coming up, we figured this was our chance to see it.  It officially ended yesterday, but I highly recommend this exhibit if it shows up in your city.  His work from the 90s until now shows his many talents and how anime art can be provocative as well as being socially conscious.  His audience loves his designs and with collaborations with Kanye West and Louis Vuitton, he shows how music and fashion are intertwined in the art world. 














No comments:

Post a Comment