Friday, October 28, 2016

Let's Laugh!

Despite having a somber weekend with my family, the rest of the week I was hoping for something more uplifting.  I do not like being in a sad state of mind for too long, especially since I have to be strong for my mom.  With the recent health scare of a family member, as well as the death of a family friend, my mom has been very sensitive lately.  Depression can sneak up on people, and for now it wouldn't do us any good if we're both suffering.
I got a chance to have dinner with a friend later on that Thursday, but because of the funky mood I had with so much going on with my family, I ruined a good evening out.  I could not get out of my cranky mood and I feel terrible about this.  As we get older, receiving bad news wears down your tolerance.  You have to learn how to understand what's happening, as well as control your emotions.  It's easier said then done, but you don't want someone to be at the receiving end of your wrath because you are going through some hardships.  They are innocent in all of this and no one wants to be the person who snaps off all the time.  It's not a great feeling, trust me.
I did my best to control my issues following the rest of the evening, but the next day I was still bummed about how I acted the night before.  Little did I know my mood was going to change because of  my friend.  She wanted to celebrate her birthday that Friday at a comedy club in Schaumburg.  I couldn't help but think maybe this wasn't a good idea.  Friday traffic could make a 20 minute commute turn into an hour and a half.  Not to mention, none of my friends have heard of this comedian before, hence making us feel suspicious if we should bother coming out there at all.  My friend insisted this comedian was good and has seen his youtube videos.  She was the only one familiar with his work.  We all agreed to make her wishes come true since this is what she wanted to do for her birthday.  Off we went to the Chicago Improv Comedy Club for Jo Koy. 
Me and my friend were the first ones there, followed by her boyfriend.  Things started to get complicated when they told us all of our party had to be present in order for us to be seated.  How was that going to happen on a Friday night during rush hour?  We sent a group text letting everyone know what was up.  Luckily they allowed us to be seated after we had 6 guests.  The people at the door were very helpful with our situation.  They insisted they will let our other party join us once they arrived. 
Jo Koy was HILARIOUS!!!  We couldn't stop laughing!  This was something we all needed.  One of my friends had a baby 6 weeks ago.  This was her first night away from her son.  Another couple had a baby sitter so they were having a date night as well.  My other friends are always in a good spirits, so it was fun to see us all laughing along.  It was the best surprise that we could imagine!  The birthday girl had a blast as well.  If it wasn't up to her, we would never have done this.  I would definitely suggest anyone that is in a funk to go do something you normally would not do, and give it a chance.  You might be surprised what an adventure it could be!  As for that night, it was a perfect evening for us.  Life was good again.



  





With the anticipation of the Cubs possibly winning the World Series, many Chicagoans cannot stop talking about tonight's game.  It's no secret how long we've had a drought obtaining the championship, but what fascinates me is the die-hard fans that have been waiting for this moment their entire lives.  My brothers are HUGE fans of the Cubs.  Even though they love all of our Chicago teams, baseball definitely runs in their blood.  Back when we were kids growing up, my brothers fell in love with the 1984 Chicago Cubs.  There were so many good players in that team, it felt as though they were truly heroes in our city.  We use to live a couple of blocks away from Wrigley Field when we were kids.  I remember clearly looking out the window and seeing all the drunken fans walk by.  I use to think they were having so much fun.  I couldn't wait to grow up and join them.
Unfortunately, that year we didn't make it to the World Series.  My younger brothers were heartbroken about the loss.  My impact on sports changed quickly, and I never grew fond of it ever since.  Yes, I've joined the bandwagon of fans whenever one of our teams are winning.  I'm guilty of this.  Who doesn't love a winning team?  It's an amazing feeling to be a part of, yet the losing part is what scares me.  I see how depressed fans get.  For me, I never understood placing my sense of happiness on the outcome of a game.  I know my reason for this is because I have no love for sports whatsoever, but I cannot pass judgment when I've seen first hand how much it means to my brothers.  I have not followed any games this season, but I will pray for the fans to get the outcome they want so they could witness a World Series team in their lifetime.
The one thing that has made me baffled on the road for the championship is the sense of entitlement fans have when it comes down to their beloved Chicago Cubs.  They  assume we have the right to win because "it's long overdue".  I can understand the loyalty of fans cheering them on every year, but the reality is, EVERYONE wants their team to win.  Just like the fairytale ending we all hope to acquire one day, as time moves on in, we see how not everyone will get what they feel they deserve out of life.  It doesn't make them unworthy of such an ideal circumstance  It just means it's not for everyone.  Maybe something else was meant for our paths, but just like wishing the Cubs win the World Series, we have to grasp the concept that some things are just not meant to be.  For the meantime, let us remember to continue to live harmoniously with one another for a peaceful existence for our well being.  And GO CUBS!   

No comments:

Post a Comment