Friday, November 4, 2016

What A Week!

It's official.  The Cubs rally is over.  Now what?  I'm not ready to hear about the election just yet.  I know it's right around the corner, but we've been on a natural high these past two weeks.  I don't want to lose this feeling just yet.  The thought of voting is making me anxious again.  I hate it.
My friends that have left Chicago to go to greener pastures have been messaging me all day.  They are all watching the rally live on tv.  They miss being here.  I told them to imagine coming into work this morning.  People have been waiting around since 6am downtown to get a good spot.  As I took my morning commute, I saw floods of people heading towards the city.  It was exciting but also nerve wrecking because I got to work late. 
It dawned on me what my friends might be going through later in the day.  We had a special viewing party here at work so we could watch the rally live.  Seeing the images of all the people rush into Grant Park made me feel proud.  They love this team and want to see them up close.  With all the coverage showcasing Chicago, I then realized how much I love being a Chicagoan.  I've lived here all my life.  So did my friends, too, until recently when they moved away.  My friend from Italy was watching the rally live.  She misses it here.  I know it's mostly because she's still building her life over there.
My friend who moved to Michigan is missing Chicago too.  Back in the first week of October we helped her move.  She lived in the iconic Marina Towers overlooking the river.  The city dyed the river blue just for today.  She wished she could be here to see it.
That move was pretty hectic for us.  She has a 7 month old baby, so we knew she needed help to pack.  Me and my friends had stopped by that Wednesday to help what we could, and also to spend one more time at her apartment.  The view is incredible up there.  We ordered sushi and wine and had a blast.  It was nice.
That Saturday it was back to business.  We arrived early to help load up the truck.  They were going to drive it out to Michigan that same day.  It was non stop action till late afternoon.  Then we said our good byes.  I'm going to miss her baby!!  He's adorable!! 
Regardless it was a memorable day for all of us.  Just like this World Series was memorable for all Chicagoans.  As for now, I'm going to join my friends who attended the rally and soak up this city to make up for my friends who aren't here.





No comments:

Post a Comment