Friday, November 11, 2016

And so it begins...

On my last post I went on a rant about what's happening in my country.  It was uncomfortable for me to comprehend how someone could vote for someone like HIM into office.  Then I witnessed the smiles and grand gestures of triumph around me.  Funny how the world I lived in is now turned upside down.  As much as I've tried to understand how this could have happened, what's just as hurtful are the people that don't get what the big deal is anyways.
For me, this new presidency will affect my friends and family, as well as myself.  My mom just retired.  She is on Obamacare but once that is revoked, she will be considered "high risk" and will have trouble finding an insurance agency that will cover her.  My friend's marriage to his partner will be no longer valid.  My girlfriend expressed her fear for her sister who lives in Kentucky and wears a hijab.  And two weeks ago, my friend was disgusted when a co-worker accidentally called another worker a monkey after he got upset about an order she didn't process.  My liberal friends who are white have already witnessed other people comfortably express their thoughts on this victorious win for them.  They have heard racist remarks that have made them sick to their stomach. 
I treasure the people who are in my life.  Even those with opposing views.  Make no mistake, I truly believe we need both parties in order to run this country.    But this election has brought out the worst in people.  They are only reacting to a leader who is now in office that has had "no filter" in expressing what he thinks of minorities, women and the disabled.  The worst part is he is not sorry about the remarks; claims he is telling it like it is, and has moved on to the white house.  How will he be able to work with other foreign leaders when he's too busy insulting them to their face??  I am stumped whenever I come across someone whose supported him.  What happens now?
I decided to take a break from social media which has now become a forum for his supporters to say what they've been feeling all along.  Hey, freedom of speech, right?  I have yet to hear anything that will unify our differences to live in this country of ours.  All of those unnerving moments where I just couldn't put my finger on it have been justified by this election.  My country, the United States of America have now become the Divided States of America.  It's sickens my stomach.  I've heard you loud and clear.  We are not valid.  We are not worth mentioning.  We are not wanted nor welcomed.
In the meantime, I pray that I will find solitude away from social media to focus on strengthening my relationship with love and peace.  My goal is to create a beautiful world to live in!  That is my dream!
I am trying to recap my events back in October.  It's hard to go back into time since I know how things look bleak in my future.  I remember that weekend when the Cubs were in the running in the playoffs.  During sweetest day Saturday I went and got my quarterly haircut by the lakefront.  For me, it's out of the way because of the route I have to take.  Remember, I do not have a car, so taking public transportation going towards the lake is pretty time consuming because of the traffic.  It's easier for me to head to downtown than it is to head to the lakefront.  But after my haircut, I took my time to do some window shopping since I'm rarely in the area.  Since the weather was nice I got a chance to look for some costume ideas for Halloween.
I decided to call up a friend to let him know where he could find some good costumes when he mentioned he was already in the neighborhood.  The big news that day was the Cubs playing the Dodgers for a shot at the World Series.  He picked me up and we caught up with one another since we haven't spoken in a while.  The last time I caught up with him I had just gotten back from Greece.  It's easy to lose track of people when there's so much going on.  We decided to watch the game at Finch Beer Co & Kitchen which is a new spot in my neighborhood.  Unfortunately, I am not a beer girl so I watched the Cubs win with my glass of rosè and munched on a hot pretzel with mustard.  lol

Finch Beer Co & Kitchen and a Cubs game!

The next day I got a chance to cleanup my apartment since I didn't get a chance the day before.  I did my leg workout late in the day for the same reason.  Little did I know, something was going on with my friends.  I could see the group messages going on but I was finishing up having dinner at home.  It seemed that my friends wanted to get together at the last minute to celebrate my friend's birthday.  I was under the impression she was going to have dinner with her fiancé that night, but apparently, it fell through.  I jumped in the shower and threw on whatever I could find because I had 10 minutes to get ready!  Off we went to Mastro's Steakhouse in downtown. 
It was nice seeing my friends at the last minute.  I couldn't pin point if everything was ok, but at least we got a chance to step out and laugh about silliness.  Sometimes that's all need to get through things. 







I promise this will be my last post concerning the state of my country.  I know I cannot let my anxieties get the best of me for the rest of the remaining year.  I want to focus on strengthening my relationships in a loving manner and also being there for my diverse friends and family whom I care about deeply.  In the meantime, I hope everyone looks into why there's so much hostility going on, and try to understand why this is upsetting to so many people. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment