Monday, September 22, 2014

When in Rome Part 2

The next day we had a big breakfast and checked out of our hotel.  Italians normally eat pastries such as biscotti, a slice of pie or a mini pound cake filled with filling for breakfast instead of an American traditional such as eggs and bacon.  I decided to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast because I knew we were going to have a long day. 
We walked over to the Vatican Museums and waited in line for over an hour.  Mind you, this was barely 9:30am so I can't imagine how long the wait would have been if we had arrived later.  Waiting patiently, I heard so many different languages from all over.  This is one of the most visited sites in the world, so I was aware of what a privilege it was for me to finally walk in.  We did not get a tour guide because we were pressed for time.  It was such a shame to enter the corridors and not understand the beauty that was surrounding me.  I was looking for the Sistine Chapel in particular, but I will advise you to plan more accordingly to enjoy the Vatican.  I was so rushed trying to make my way through that I did feel guilty walking out of such a historic museum.
 I managed to catch some breath taking shots throughout my journey to the Chapel.  You couldn't help yourself!  Rooms were sometimes filled with frescos from the ceiling down to the walls.  I was taken aback by the floor length area rugs hanging from above.  After viewing so many rooms and being constantly teased by the "Sistine Chapel this way" signs I felt like we were never going to get there.  And then BOOM!  It took me off guard!  There I was, standing in this gigantic room with other wanderers, looking at the ceiling.  I was there!  My bucket list staring right back at me in all of its glory.
It was pretty surreal being in the last corridor of the Vatican museum.  I've waited years to be in this moment.  I never realized what a profound effect it had on me until I look back, mostly because moments like these are hard to come by.  In total, with me and my friend rushing from room to room, we spent 2 hours trying to get to the Chapel.  That's how many rooms you walk through.  How many stairs we climbed and hallways we passed.  Don't underestimate the size of this museum.  You would need at least 8 hours to get a good glimpse of what this place has to offer.  It will leave you drained.  
Once we left I took a look at the line for St. Peter's Basilica and was  saddened I couldn't make it inside.  We had to drive 3 and a half hours back to my friend's hometown, not to mention we had plans for dinner with friends.  I took a couple of pictures outside but felt hopeful I will make my way back here again.  There's just so much to see in Rome!  We dined for lunch and found our way out.  Rome has some tricky roads to drive through that we got lost trying to get out of there.  After the long drive home we freshened up and made our way to dinner where I was welcomed to a 10 bottle wine tasting!  Mama mia!  The jet leg was catching up to me, but I managed not to fall asleep at the table.  We were dining in the best restaurant in town, and I felt like a queen.  Not bad for Day 2...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment