Saturday, September 20, 2014

My Birthday Gift To Myself...

This year I promised myself I was going to go to Italy.  It was something I planned to do a while back, mostly because I kept holding it off for so long.  The embarrassing thing is, I've never traveled much.  Considering I'm single without any children, I should have had a full stamped passport by now, but I didn't.  Life kept getting in the way.  Bills kept coming and going.  My priorities shifted every so often.  Of course those are excuses, but the fear of my finances kept me at home.  My life has changed a lot the past 2 years, and it made me realize I am on my own for now.  Actually, I've been on my own since I moved out of my mom's house back when I was 20 years old.  Things were not so good between us at the time, and I figured it was time for me to get out under her roof if I wanted to live my life.  But then like I mentioned, Life happened, and things didn't turn out the way I thought it would.  I had to learn to budget and cut back and eat very little and have to live without electricity until I pay the bill and not have insurance on my car and get into a car accident and deal with lawyers and move in and out with my boyfriends and then become single for the first time in 7 years.  A lot can happen when you decide to grow up sooner than most, but those were the hardships.  The good times consisted of flying out to New York and South Beach with my best friend, heading to Vegas for Memorial Weekend or a birthday or bachelorette party, attending music festivals such as Lollapalooza and concerts at Soldier Field.  And let's not forget the shopping.  Having worked in retail for over 10 years can contribute to an overwhelming closet.  Those were my good times which consisted in living for the moment but not thinking about tomorrow.
Well "tomorrow" is coming sooner than you think.  This year alone I attended 3 funerals and there will be many more to happen in the near future.  Most of my friends' parents are passing and it really puts things in perspective on how you want to live the rest of your life.  I did not expect to be single for what it's worth but for the most part being on my own again made me really look at myself and what I am missing.  Dedicating myself to someone can sometimes mean sacrificing opportunities, but now that I have no one to claim, I decided to do something for me for once.  I ran out of excuses.
I needed this trip for many reasons, but I also needed to see what is out there besides Chicago, or Vegas, or The States in general.  The furthest "north" I've ever been to was Toronto (which I LOVED by the way) and the furthest "south" was Guatemala where my family is from.  It was time to fly out to the European nations and see what's going on over there.  Needless to say, I was blown away and am grateful I had the chance to see something new for myself in my own eyes.  I can't wait to share with you my experience in Italy!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment