Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Two Days in Paris AGAIN! Part One

I knew I was in trouble once I stepped into my hotel room.  I connected to the wifi right away and started messaging my best friend in Italy that I had arrived.  I was laying down and knew I was in trouble.  I was pretty exhausted and by now it was 2pm.  I decided to take a nap despite my time restriction.  I wanted to check out two museums but my body wouldn’t allow it. 
Once I woke up I quickly jumped in the shower and was on my way.  I had grabbed some coffee when I checked in but I usually drink two cups per day.  I needed another pick me up.  I went to the concierge and bought another cup.  I needed some pep in my step!  According to google maps the Musee des Art Decoratifs closed by 6pm and I was jumping on the train a little after 4pm.
There was a line at the entrance and the security guard was giving people a hard time to get inside the Christian Dior exhibit.  I asked if I could go in, but he insisted I needed two hours to see the exhibit and there wasn’t enough time.  By now it was nearing 4:45pm, but I told him I didn’t mind rushing through.  He shrugged his shoulders and stepped aside.  Off I went!
I was nervous because the people at the ticket counter gave me uncertain looks as well, but I ignored them and asked for a ticket.  I did not come all the way down here to be shunned away especially if I knew I had some time on me.  Once I walked through the entrance, it hit me what all the fuss was about.  There were so many people coming from all directions!  I tried to walk ahead of the crowds but it sometimes got overwhelming.  I made my way through each room, snapping away on my camera phone.  I even took pictures of some of the descriptions of the exhibits so I could read later on in my own time.  
Once I walked through every room I had time to go back to previous rooms and capture more insight on the history of Dior.  I felt better that I had the chance to do a double take.  Feeling rushed is the worse.  Every gown was so beautiful!  Every designer that designed after Christian Dior left behind their own trademark.  It was a fashion girl’s dream to see such a splendid exhibition.  I truly enjoyed it.  I made plans with a friend I made back in September last time I was in Paris.  He was getting off work around 7pm.  We had decided for him to meet me back at my 
hotel since I was pretty unfamiliar with the area he lived in.  This time I booked my hotel in the Gare du Nord area.  Very touristy, but it was what I could afford.
I hung out in the lobby to kill some time before my friend arrived.  This concierge was very informative.  He made me laugh and was giving me tips on how to get around in the city.  I had not branched out in the neighborhood, but I usually like to do that so I could see what’s around me.  Again, time was against me.
My friend finally made it and I was starving!  I realized I had not ate all day.  Luckily my friend was hungry as well and I let him choose where to eat.  Unfortunately, being a native Parisian, he was not very impressed with the selection of restaurants in my area so we jumped on the metro and headed towards Opera.  
This area was magical!!  I absolutely loved it.  Most of the shops and hotels were high end.  But the Christmas decorations is what got me.  I was in Paris during Christmas time and it was absolutely breathtaking! 
We settled at a wine bar that wasn’t too busy.  I noticed, just like Italians do, most bars were packed, even the outdoor patios despite the weather being nippy.  We sat inside, but I was impressed at how comfortable everyone seemed sitting outside.
My friend ordered for me and I got duck.  My first real French meal and it was delish!  I was very satisfied.  We caught up on what was new, but unfortunately that also meant what was new with politics.  As you can imagine, the conversation got pretty intense, but the focus was more on me not knowing enough about the news.  I felt bad I couldn’t answer some of his questions, but looking back, I’m glad he asked me the tough questions that he did.  If I want to continue to travel, by now I have to expect that this will be a reoccurring topic for me to discuss.  I need to be well informed period.  Me stating where I stand in politics is not enough.  I need to understand how our politics in our country impacts the world on a grand scale.  At the end of the day, everyone is impacted by the decisions we make here.
Once our political conversation ended, so did our dinner.  We went for a walk around the Place  Vendôme me and went inside the Ritz Carlton hotel for a sneak peak.  I loved my first night in Paris!













The Christian Dior exhibit was breathtaking ❤️




The Ritz Carlton



No comments:

Post a Comment