Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Curse Has Been Broken!!!

As we're gearing up for the holidays, it's hard to imagine how much life has changed during my last post from Halloween.  It's scary sometimes because you realize how things can affect you for a lifetime.  Our city was still in the running for a World Series Championship.  At this point, anything goes.  How nerve wrecking!!!
I was glad after that Halloween Monday that we had a break from all of the hoopla.  I got to enjoy dressing up in costume with my brother, but now it's crunch time.  Game 6 resumed back in Cleveland and the stakes were high.  AGAIN I was skeptical because we were in their turf now.  Oh how I wished they had won all 3 games when they were in Chicago!  I couldn't handle it again and watched the game home by myself.  I don't know how sports fan do this!  My anxiety was creeping up on THE THOUGHT of us winning, but we were doing well so far.  You could tell our players were super confident, and we were making the runs to stay ahead.  We managed to stay strong and won the game easily 9-3.  The city was insane!!  We just tied the series!!
All day at work Wednesday you could see the Cubs fever!  People couldn't wait to get off work.  Seeing the anticipation on others was making me anxious, so I did my usual routine of heading to the gym afterwards and then showering up at home.  I was invited by a friend to watch the game at a house party in Wrigleyville, but I told them maybe I'll meet up later.  The thought of us getting this far and not winning this thing would be heartbreaking.  I figured I'll just see how it looks from home.
I called up my mom to check up on her.  She, too was nervous, but mostly because she knew how much this meant to my brothers.  She opted not to watch the game and was watching the Country Music Awards instead.  I kept zoning out of our conversation and then out of nowhere I gasped.  "What's wrong mi nena?", my mom asked.  "Mom, they just scored another run!" I said surprisingly.  "You see??  They're going to win!" my mom replied.
And at that moment, when were were up ahead at 4 runs, is when it hit me.  WE ARE going to win!!  I got off the phone and quickly got ready.  I saw that the Irving bus was going to be at my stop in less than 20 minutes and then no more buses were scheduled after that one.  The city was getting ready for the Cubs to win, so it was slowing down the service.  I knew Wrigleyville was the place to be, so I caught the bus and headed down that way.  People were jumping on board to get there as well.  I could see the action in the bars surrounding the streets.  Everyone was watching the game, even if they were taking a glimpse from the outside.
I got off at Southport and headed to the address.  By now the Indians were catching up and getting the runs in.  I didn't want to think about it since I knew I wanted to be at the party soon.  There were people all over the streets but the crowd was slowly building up.  Luckily I found the house and made it inside to watch the rest of the game.  I felt bad when things turned out for the worse and the Indians were catching up to us quickly.  Did I change the course of the game??  I couldn't help but feel guilty now that I showed up.
Remember, this curse that has followed the Cubs over 100 years has brainwashed us to think we will never get to this place.  Was fate stepping in again??
That last hour of the game was filled with intense emotions.  We were setting ourselves to fail.  2 outs in the 10th inning had lead to us to this moment.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I rushed to the bathroom because it was too hard to watch.  And then I heard the screams.  Lots of them.  We won the world series.
I remember all of us hugging each other and screaming to the top of our lungs.  It was insane to be in the middle of Wrigleyville.  We gathered our things and ran out like the rest of them.  Everyone wanted to be in front of Wrigley Field but they had blocked the streets from us.  With the crowd moving from all directions, we thought to ourselves, if there's a will, there's a way!  The police tried their best to control the crowd by blocking alleys and streets surrounding it.  I do not know how we managed to get through, but there we were.  In front we could see the sign, "Chicago Cubs World Series Champions!"  I still get goose bumps thinking about it.
I didn't get home til 2am.  At work the next day, some people had lost their voices from screaming with excitement.  This whole experience drained me, but it was unbelievable.  My brothers were texting me like crazy during the celebration.  I was happy for them, and for all of my Chicagoans.  We broke the curse!



House party essentials

I NEED this bag in my life!

Getting ahead of ourselves



Aftermath 

WE DID IT!!!

As close as we can get but it was worth it!

Insanity!

Fly the W

No comments:

Post a Comment