Friday, December 2, 2016

Halloween with The Cubs

As we're entering the last month of the year, I think about how tough the holidays are for some people.  I've noticed my mom has been in a funky mood lately, and it dawned on me that she might be going through something.  She was busy getting some bags of clothes together for the Salvation Army to be picked up.  They are mostly her husband's clothes, but she figured it was time to put them away for good.  I know she's hurting, but for me it's important that I monitor her well being since I do not want her to go through a depression again.  I know she's been technically retired for a month and a half, but I want her to stay active and not get stuck all day at home.  It's hard because there's so much coming up the next few weeks with birthdays and holiday parties that I need my brothers to make sure they reach out to her too.
Since we were out in Michigan when the Cubs clenched the National League Championship that Saturday night, we weren't sure who we were playing against.  It wasn't until the Cleveland Indians won the American Division that we knew who we were facing.  Game 1 was played out in Ohio, but I had to attend an event that night at the Loews Hotel.  It got me out of watching the series even though I had promised my brothers.  Our deal was I would start watching the games when the Cubs would made it to the World Series.  The POSSIBILITY that we reached this far and might not win this thing took over me and I happily went to my event.  I enjoyed my night out with other like-minded women.  We take care of ourselves but want to look and feel better.  I try my best to have a well balanced diet and exercise regularly, but sometimes that's not enough.  Regardless, we terribly lost Game 1 so I didn't feel so guilty missing out.
The following day, I rushed home from work to watch Game 2 and surprisingly we won and beat them pretty bad.  Who knew we were so good?  It reassured me that we DID win the National League Championship after all so I had to give them some credit.  lol  As you can tell, I'm terrible following sports, but I enjoyed getting that sense of Chicago pride. Now we are even 1-1.
Game 3 was a nail biter because no one was scoring and it was intense.  At this point, you could see how bad BOTH teams wanted this, and to make matters worse, the game was being played in our turf at Wrigley Field.  I had friends meeting up at bars to watch the game, but I hurried home because I was tired.  And yes, I have to admit, I was still skeptical about the Cubs making it this far.  We lost by one run but it made everyone in Chicago nervous.  WE HAVE TO WIN here in our own city!!
For Game 4 it fell that Halloween weekend on Saturday.  For the most part, I would say a number of participants wore dare to dress in costume usually do it that Saturday, but no one was talking about it.  Everywhere on social media were promoting to watch the Cubs game at their venue.  My brother was taking me up on his promise that I was watching the series and wanted to come pick me up so we could watch the game with our dad, but that didn't work out the way we wanted.  There was a miscommunication between my family and our dad was not available that night.  My younger brother went to a neighborhood bar alone to watch the game.  It seemed the pressure of the series was starting to get to people, and no one predicted the Cubs to lose here at Wrigley their first night back.  My older brother suggested meeting up with him and we did.  We ended up at MCM bar by six corners and watched the Cubs get slaughtered again.  This time, it was an embarrassment and NO ONE was in the mood to celebrate Halloween that night.  I stayed out with my brothers the whole evening, and also looked over my younger brother who was taking this loss personal.  EVERYONE in that bar was in such a horrible mood afterwards. 

Me and Freddy at MCM bar.


Game 5 was still taken place in Chicago.  I was getting frustrated that this series was interfering with Halloween.  I love dressing up, but everyone was focused on the Cubs.  I could see how much this was affecting my brothers.  We all got together again, but this time went over my Dad's place and watched the game with him.


At my Dad's.  I DO NOT OWN A CUBS SHIRT  so I kept wearing the colors instead.

And out of nowhere.  We won.  Here, in our turf.  It surprised me, and it woke up Chicago.  The feelings of "what if?" came back.  Do we have what it takes to win this thing?  My younger brother was back feeling hopeful than ever.  To make matters worse, he was on vacation.  He was under the impression he would be out celebrating every night with a Cubs win.  It didn't quite turn out that way, but he was excited again.  I wasn't aware of his schedule but told him I wanted to go out for Halloween at least.  I had a costume and everything.  Game 6 was going to resume back at Cleveland the following Tuesday, so at least I had one day when it wasn't about the Cubs.  The intensity of the series was exhausting and I wanted to go out and be silly.  My younger brother agreed to be my date and off we went to the Mid.      
I knew once I got back from my summer trip that I wanted to wear something in reference to my vacation, so I found this costume off of Amazon.  I got the leaf headband at Claire's and wore my own Greek lace up sandals to finish the look. 
Mondays at The Mid is a hot spot in Chicago.  Since Halloween fell on a Monday, the club was at full capacity early on.



Me and my toga!

My younger brother escaped prison to attend this party.  lol


It was fun watching everyone in costume.  We had a blast but I can't help but think the Cubs almost ruined my Halloween.  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment