Friday, July 17, 2015

Flashback Friday to my evening with Sam Smith!

It's funny blogging about what happened 6 months ago in the dead of winter when it's 90 degrees outside.  So far Chicago has had a crappy summer this year.  Who would have predicted thunderstorms and highs reaching the 70s?  Despite people complaining about our heat wave today, I welcome it!  I'm a summer baby and absolutely LOVE the heat!  I complain when it's too cold.  And with Chicago being bipolar, you learn to live with the constant changes and go out and about. 
Back in January, Sam Smith was coming to the UIC Pavillion.  I had no one to go with, so I bought a ticket for myself.  Since I've been single for a few years, I'm still learning to do things on my own.  It's an adjustment especially coming from a 7 year relationship.  I always had my man by my side, and luckily we enjoyed the same things.  He was my best friend.
But now it's me, myself and I.  I never realized how people might have a problem being SINGLE.  It's not the same as being alone, but for some people they're synonyms.  I have a good set of friends that like to get together and do stuff, so I was fine at first.  But of course, as time went on, they all paired up and I'm left trying to figure out how to amuse myself.
Sam's tickets were pretty steep, too.  I felt bad asking someone to pay so much for an artist they may not be crazy about.  But I was crazy about him.  I knew he was nominated for multiple Grammys and  was at the start of his career.  Plus I needed to do something to get my mind off what was happening with my family.  I needed a break from life.  I bought my ticket and off I went!
I made my way down there and even had time to purchase a t-shirt from the vendors.  I was excited.  I got a glass of wine and went to find my seat.  I loved the diversity of the concert goers too!  All different ethnicities, ages, just to see this man with the "voice".  I had watched him earlier last year from the Today show, and SNL.  He was quiet shy on stage and didn't say much.
Once the curtain dropped and we heard the first note, we knew we were about to encounter something special.  His voice is truly angelic!  The crowd would not stop screaming for him!  I felt overwhelmed with joy.  To think I was going to pass this up because I had no one to go with.  HA!
Never again.  Never again will I let my fear of being "alone" rob me from a beautiful experience.  I truly had a wonderful evening by myself, with no distractions but me and Sam.  I felt blessed!
Towards the end of this summer I will be traveling again.  This time I might end up alone, for my friend won't be able to join me til later on.  I'm petrified, but also excited to see how I would spend this time by myself.  I think I'll be just fine...
Got nosebleed seats, but the UIC Pavillion is not a huge venue.

Sam is smiling.  He is getting confident with his fame. 

PACKED HOUSE!


His multi Grammy wins are justified!  He sounds better live!

No comments:

Post a Comment