Monday, May 11, 2015

SURPRISE!!!

I am slowly moving along the past 6 months of my life to catch up to what's been going on now.  Looking back I realized how grateful I am for these "mini vacations" to pop up, mostly because my family was going through some tough times.  It may seem selfish but in reality, you need to realize that LIFE DOES GO ON.  Moments spent with friends and family don't happen very often as we'd like, so when you DO have the opportunity to interact with them, DO IT.  It's something I'm learning along the way, and don't ever feel bad about it either.  It's the only time you feel ALIVE, and it's important for your well being. 
The following weekend after the baby shower, my uncle was throwing a surprise birthday party to his life long significant other.  They've been together for over 30 years, and although she does not believe in a traditional marriage, they're very much in love and have built a wonderful life for themselves. With the help of her friends, they rented a room downstairs at Rick Bayless'Frontera Grill.  I was SUPER EXCITED because Rick Bayless is a Chicago icon in the restaurant scene.  I brought along a pair of black skinny jeans and tall boots to change into after work and hurried on over to the party.  That's my usual party-proof staple if I'm going out after work.
Once I arrived, a couple of more people showed up, but we were hitting the deadline close.  My uncle sent out her friends to lure her in the restaurant unknowingly.  Then, SURPRISE!!  She was completely in shock!  I loved every minute of it.  Luckily she wasn't angry either.  Hey, some people don't like surprises.
My mom was there and was very excited to be out.  She needed this break.  Luckily they had servers walking around filling up on margaritas.  They were to die for.  We sat down for a pre-fixed meal and munched away.  I loved seeing my family out and about and not at someone's house for a change.  I understand how going to a downtown restaurant might be a bit too much for families, but sometimes the experience is worth the memories.  For this night, I loved seeing my mom's smile light up the room.  For me and my brothers, we loved running into our old childhood friends.  For the birthday girl, seeing her friends and family all together was an emotional one.  And for my family, it was a special moment we all shared together. 
 SURPRISE!!!
 My beautiful cousins...
 My brother with my cousin...
 My mommy...
 Me and my brothers with our childhood friends...
  A picture collage my mom made for the birthday girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment