Friday, October 12, 2018

Paris: Day Three

Day 3 in Paris was by far the BEST day of my trip.  Looking back on it now, I didn’t realize how perfect this day was going to turn out.  Isn’t it funny how that works sometimes?
I woke up and got ready.  Once I made my way down there I figured I should have breakfast before the day got busier unlike the day before.  I quickly found a café and ordered some croissants, coffee and juice.  This was their breakfast special and it was about to end soon.  Travel tip:  Since I was a bit tight on schedule, I forgot how much slower the service can be in Paris, especially if you want to grab something quick.  I took my time when the food arrived regardless.  I realized I have not sat down in a café since I got here.
The waiter got aggravated with someone and literally kicked him out of the restaurant; no pun intended.  That part surprised me, even if he was bothering customers for money.  I didn’t realize Parisians can have a temper.
I got lost (again) looking for Atelier des Lumieres.  I really wanted to see their art installation on Gustav Klimt but now I was wasting too much time looking for this place.  I told myself not to get too cheap in situations like these.  Even though I knew I was close by, I hailed a cab and gave them the address.  After a couple of twirls through the rues, she dropped me off in front.  I was so grateful.
The security had a line for tickets, but I did not have one.  I could not understand what was going on or what he was saying to people coming up to him, but once it was my turn, he told me to go inside.  I got the tickets from the ticket booth and walked through the door they told me to go to.  I must have missed something but the lights were on in the room.  There were people everywhere but I looked around to see what was going to happen.
Then, out of the blue, the lights shut off.  It did scare people a bit, but the lights quickly turned back on, with the opening credits of the installation.  I found a spot to watch everything.  It was basically set up in a warehouse, but the visuals were amazing.  The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes, but I loved every minute of it.
I browsed through their gift shop and then realized I could knock something else off of my itinerary.  I wanted to see the Sainte Chapelle de Paris.  I found the train and headed back towards Notre Dame.  I knew I was nearby again, but this time I walked up to two police officers and asked them where it was.  They were helpful and told me to go down the street.  I found the line forming and waited for a bit to get inside.  I didn’t realize once we got around the corner that there was another line to get in.  Here we had to pay for a ticket to get inside which I found odd. I didn’t realize how much smaller this cathedral was compared to the other ones I have visited in Paris.  You had to climb up a narrow stairway to get inside, but once you did, the beauty of the stain glass overwhelms you.  People would stop dead in their tracks!  I took my time inside and admired the details.
I didn’t take as long as I thought I would because of how small it is in size.   I had always wanted to check out the neighborhood of Trocadero.  Since I knew it would be close to the Eiffel Tower, I decided to head towards that direction via metro.  I entered the directions through my phone and was pleasantly surprised when I rode the train above ground.  I caught the stunning view of Paris and grew excited to get to my destination.  Btw, there were a TON of people in the Trocadero neighborhood!  It was a little overwhelming at first, but I managed to find the infamous platform in no time.  I grabbed a baguette sandwich while I walked around.  I enjoyed people watching too.  Everyone just loves the Eiffel Tower!
At that point, I wanted to head back to my hotel and freshen up since I was out in the sun all day.  I also wanted to get my suitcase together since I had to get up in the morning.  My flight was at 1pm but I knew I had to be at the airport a lot sooner.  
My friend was waiting for me at a café.  It was officially my last night in Paris and I needed to make the most of it.  For my commute, I had to catch a bus outside of my hotel.  It was nice looking out the window and seeing the passing streets.  A half hour later, I got off my stop and walked down the street.  I found my friends at the café and we enjoyed a glass of wine.  We decided to walk around and find another café and there we ran into Le Dome.  It was a happening place, and luckily they seated us right away.
In the end, it was bitter sweet leaving Paris.  I didn’t expect to enjoy my last day so much.  The morning was a bit chaotic.  I’m glad I got to the airport early again, because there was another backup, and this time people were yelling at the employees in French.  Not good on my nerves, but I caught my flight back to Iceland.  This time, my layover was 6 hours.  I figured I could make arrangements to go to the Blue Lagoon, but no such luck.  They told me right then and there that they were at capacity.  Oh well.  I found a spot at the airport used their WiFi to catch up with my friend in Italy.  I even had dinner there at the airport since I was going to land in Chicago later in the evening.
Recapping my stories have made me miss Paris all over again.  It’s funny that a place can leave you feeling that way…





















No comments:

Post a Comment