Thursday, June 9, 2016

Memorial Day BBQ!

Sunday on Memorial Day weekend my friends decided to throw a BBQ.  Who could pass up an invitation like that??  Me and my friends made our way to Skokie for some backyard fun.  The weather was HOT and the food was delish!  It was nice catching up with everyone.  So many things are coming up for the summer; it's getting harder to figure out how to plan for some of it.
Number one for me has always been:  what to wear.  I am NOT a dress person.  Yes, I've worked in retail over the years, and I know how important it is for women to find a flattering dress for these summer occasions.  And it's not easy.  I've been shopping online for the past 4 years and have completely ruled out shopping at the mall.  I've been the same dress size for years so trying something on has never been a problem for me.  It's more of scrambling through tons of dresses that drive me crazy.  Not to mention, I'm pretty much always on a budget.  If the sky was the limit, then yes, life would be much easier.  But I'm not wealthy so I have learned how to shop for myself over the years.
What I have learned:
Let's face it.  You're not a little girl anymore.  You pretty much know what looks good on you by now.  When it comes to certain occasions, look for what has worked for you in the past.  You know your silhouette.  If  you have a great pair of legs, then don't wear a maxi dress.  Show them off!  If you have a tiny waist, don't wear an empire dress.  Stick to dresses that accentuate your body and not hide them because of whatever trends are happening this season.  For the most part, up to this point in your life, it's been trial and error.  But you'll never forget those times when people have come up to you to tell you how great you look!  Those are unforgettable moments!
What's your color??  I have a friend that always wears black because she feels it looks best on her.  She feels more confident because it slims her down and she doesn't feel so exposed.  I have another friend that wears rich colors like magenta and royal blue well.  It looks great on her skin tone.  Everyone has a color! 
Do you have a favorite brand or shop that has always been your go-to for shopping?  I have 5 brands; shops that have worked for me in the past.  I usually luck out when I shop there.  I usually start there before branching out to other stores. 
Now that you're "aware" of what has worked for you in the past, it's time to know what occasion you are shopping for.  I have a couple of baby showers and baptisms coming up, as well as a work function.  For the most part I know I will be looking at day dresses and work dresses.  It narrows down your search tremendously when you know what you're looking for.
I have yet to find my dresses.  Over the years, I have managed to look for good deals online and out and about.  There have been times when I've bought a dress because of how well it fits, despite knowing where I would wear it to.  My rule of thumb has always been to get the dress.  You never know when something pops up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment