Friday, June 10, 2016

Branka's Baptism!

Since I have some upcoming events that include baptisms, a baby shower and a work party, I took the opportunity to go shopping downtown on Memorial Day Monday.  In the retail world, there's a ton of sales and I figured I might get lucky and find something in the process.  Yeah right.  Unfortunately, no such luck, but it did give me a satisfied feeling I didn't spend money I something I didn't like.  When my friend was visiting in town from Italy, I lucked out finding two dresses I might use for my birthday or a vacation.  Too bad they weren't what I was originally looking for.  Back to the drawing board I guess!  lol
Leading up to the weeked, I stepped out Saturday night for a bit to help a friend celebrate his birthday.  It was pretty low key, but I knew I had a full day ahead on Sunday, so it was ok.  I had no idea what I was walking into for this baptism.  It was for my friend who had a baby last July, and it was time to baptize her son.  Since his father is Serbian, they decided to hold the service at Saint Steven of Decani church in Albany Park.  She was being baptized as well, so it was a special occasion for the both of them.  I had no idea what to expect.  I knew something was up once I walked up to my friend's car when she picked me up.  She was wearing a cocktail dress.  I was wearing a striped silk tunic with beige dress pants and wedges.  We both said at the same time, "What are you wearing??"  lol.  She asked me if I wanted to go upstairs to change but we were running late.  I didn't think I was under dressed until I got to the church.  Almost every woman there was wearing a cocktail dress!  Almost every man there was wearing either a suit or a dress shirt and tie.  I felt embarrassed but I still think I wasn't in the wrong since we were going to a church service.  What do you think?
The service was about an hour and a half and most of it we had to stand up for it.  I clearly had asked my friend about the dress code last week at the Memorial BBQ, and she told me point blank, "Wear whatever.  And wear comfortable shoes."  No biggie.  For the most part, most baptisms I've went to I've seen women wear a range of things for the church service.  I guess it depends on the people and the church altogether. 
After the service, food and refreshments were being held at the Evanston Country Club where my friend originally had her baby shower.  My girlfriend flat out told me more people will be there and they will be all dressed up.  I guess that was a hint for me to go home and change.  I wasn't prepared for this.  I understand it's better to be overdressed than under dressed, but this was ridiculous.  I knew I couldn't pull off my look at the country club, so I agreed to go home and look through my closet.  I pulled out a silk dress I wore back in Italy two years ago.  The other dresses I own are either too clubby, too formal, or too casual.  It was frustrating but in the end, everyone loved my dress.  lol.  I got lucky finding it on ebay but I'm glad it came in handy. 
Back at the country club, there was a deejay, and a singer along with a person playing the keyboard.  This was a big thing!  We slowly found a table and were ready for the festivities.  A special hot buffet was waiting for us.  It was pretty intense dancing to Serbian music on board daylight!  We had a great time and took a ton of pictures with a professional photographer.  I can't wait to see them!


What a wonderful ceremony!


Time for the festivities!








It difficult to get babies to look at the camera!  lol


What an amazing story to share once he gets older!






No comments:

Post a Comment