Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Reykjavik: Part One

As you obviously know, I’ve returned from my vacation about three weeks ago.  I have been busy with work ever since, but I did have some time to reflect on my time away.  I have been reading my new book-of-the-month “Six Months Off- How to plan, negotiate, and take the break you need without burning bridges or going broke”, as well as catching up with my friends and family.  Now it’s time to recap!
I had an absolutely WONDERFUL TIME AWAY!  I cannot downplay this trip this even if I wanted to.  I realized that the last time I flew out was for my best friend’s wedding, and although we made some good memories; there was a really BAD one, too.  I think I figured out why I loved this trip so much.  I fell into solo traveling because of my friend in Italy.  It was by chance that she backed out on my very first trip to Paris, and that’s how it all began for me.  Now that I’ve managed a few trips on my own, I crave my solitude away. 
I had a voucher I needed to use because it still had a balance on it.  This trip cost me a bit more than the last, so I’m back on my tight budget for now until all of my cards are paid off.  But I cannot wait to do this again.  I’m hooked.  As for now, I do not have any ideas on where to go next.  Until then, I will cherish the process of planning trips, because it truly brings me joy and strengthens my perspective in life.
I was pretty lucky on booking a late flight.  Takeoff time was at 11:30pm Chicago time.  I worked a full day and made my way home.  I was very nervous as usual.  It was close to 90 degrees that day.  I had a bite to eat and made my way to the nail salon for a quick mani.  I figured I’ll jump on the blue line early since I didn’t want to ride the train to the airport so late.
I’m glad I did get there early.  I’m always surprised at security check since it’s hard to predict how fast the line will be going.  That night it was a mess!  Two ladies were complaining to the officers that they were going to miss their flights (and they probably did).  Others were upset at how backed up they were.  Waiting around didn’t make my nerves calm down.  You can see the desperation on people’s faces, but security did not care.  I went through with no problems, but did not realize I missed the cutoff time at the currency.  I wanted to change my money but it was too late.  They were closed.

I waited at my usual spot at Hub 51 for my glass of wine.  Two guys were giving each other a hard time.  It seems one of them left the other one back at the hotel, but luckily he got to the airport.  I can see there was tension between the two since the guy didn’t appreciate his friend leaving.  With everyone’s nerves around me on high alert, I ordered another glass of red.
I wanted to knock out on this flight.  As of now, I did not book a hotel stay in Reykjavik (more on that later).  I wanted to sleep but also realized I had to be fully rested if I wanted to make a full day in Iceland.  Once we boarded, I’m proud to say we had a smooth flight.  This time I brought my neck pillow and it helped me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment