Friday, October 27, 2017

#VegasStrong

After seeing my friends the night before, I took it easy on Leg Day Saturday.  I slept in; did my chores and went to the gym like I usually do.  Me and my brothers were celebrating my mom’s birthday that night and we decided to take her out to dinner.  We were having trouble figuring out where to go.  Luckily my mom had a suggestion and we were relieved.  Usually my mom has a terrible time deciding, that’s why we would have a ton of suggestions so she could choose from. 
She wanted to go to Legno on Central avenue, which is in her neighborhood in Portage Park.  I was surprised she knew about it, but apparently it’s nearby her church, and they give out vouchers to the attendees from time to time.  Lol.  I have to say, me and my brothers were very impressed!  It’s connected to a banquet hall next door, but the restaurant served us right away, despite it being a Saturday night.  Some restaurants in the north side of Chicago do not take reservations, but we lucked out with this one.  It was nice to catch up to my mom and my brothers.  We were obviously talking about Hurricane Maria and my dad’s family out there in Caguas.  Still no word on anyone, but people off of Facebook were checking in that they had spoken to family out there whenever they received word about their safety.  
Never in a million years did anyone expect what was to come next.  Sunday night, at a country music festival, Las Vegas encountered the worst domestic terrorism attack in United States history.  My mom cried to me the next day on the phone.  With the tube terrorist attack I had missed in London a few weeks earlier and now this, for the first time, she was worried about me.  “I know because you love to travel and go to concerts; I don’t want anything happening to any of my children,” she cried.  I was at a loss for words because I knew she wanted me to say something that would console her, but instead I said the opposite.  I told her that I was sorry for making her feel like this, but I can’t stop living.  I can’t help but feel this way.  At the end of the day, we are truly living during a dangerous time.  If anything, I want to experience more.  In the end, what would it matter anyways?  We all gotta go sometime…    










No comments:

Post a Comment