Tuesday, October 10, 2017

London/ Paris: Day 4 Part Two

I dozed off and on again during my train ride to Paris.  Unfortunately it was not vey scenic.  When the train pulled up I knew things were going to get chaotic.  I found my metro stop downstairs, but there were so many people.  Once the metro train pulled up people were shoving themselves on.  I was super nervous but I had to endure two more stops of this before I transferred over.  Paris metro system is a lot busier than London’s.  Maybe because London’s tube is much longer (?)  I got confused walking around the underground subway tunnels.  I couldn’t find my train stop to get on.  I had to find Metro 4 and I was lost.  I walked into an African man who asked if I was ok.  He spoke to me in English.  I asked for his help and we walked together.  He asked where I was from and I told him Chicago and that I just came from London.  He explained that he wanted to go to London to finish school.  Again, he applied for his visa and he got denied.  For the time being he is working in Paris, but his eyes were sad like the girl I had encountered at the mall earlier.  Once he showed me where to get on my train stop I gave him a hug.  He looked like he really needed it.
Two more stops later I got off the train.  Last time I was in Paris I got lost for over an hour once I stepped out of the metro station.  The rues in Paris run small and you are constantly looking for new street signs on the buildings.  I do not know how I managed to pull it off, but I found my hotel right away.  I lucked out big time!
Once I checked in I asked the concierge for help on directions leading me to the Apple store.  I couldn’t believe my luck again.  He told me there was a huge Apple store right down the street.  “But you need to hurry; they close an in hour!”
I literally ran out of there.  I wasn’t sure if they would be able to see me right away.  My anxiety shot back up again.  I was too excited when I spoke to the French associate.  I got some looks from the workers but I didn’t care.  I just really needed to know what was wrong with my phone.  I told the associate that I got it to charge in London but wasn’t sure what was wrong, the cord or the power adaptor connected to my cord.  It turned out to be both.  But then my luck ran out.  I realized I didn’t pack my European converter and needed to get that as well.  60 euros gone, just like that.
I decided to charge my iphone at the Apple store so I could finally calm down.  I messaged my friend and told her my status.  By this time, I was getting hungry.  Once I was fully charged I decided to venture around my hotel neighborhood.  I figured I would grab a sandwich to eat since I already spent my daily budget on the phone. 
I liked my hotel neighborhood.  I was surrounded by high end retail shops.  I knew I was in a shopping district although I felt I wasn’t around too many tourists with selfie sticks.  I felt safe.
Once I got back to the hotel I asked the concierge if I was far from the Louvre Museum.  I knew the train stop from the metro was around the corner but I wasn’t sure where I was from all of the tourist attractions.  I had to get on at another metro station down the street but he said I was two stops away.  I was curious if I could make it on time to go to their museum shop before they closed.  I really wanted to get the museum book of the Louvre.  I regretted not getting it back when I was in Paris 2 years ago.  It’s a huge book and at the time I figured I could order it online.  Unfortunately, the English version was sold out and it has haunted me ever since.  With limited time in Paris I wanted to knock this out the way.
I messaged my friend and off I ran.  Sure enough, there was a metro stop that landed you underneath at the Place du Carrousel at the Louvre.  I ran inside and tried to find the museum shop.  I was getting confused because there are other shops underneath, but none were the official museum shop.  It was nearly 8:40pm and I was worried they were about to kick people out since it closed at 9pm.
I got inside and ran to a shop.  I was in the middle of buying the book when I noticed another book in the background that looked similar.  I asked the sales rep if I could see the other book.  “Is that the official Louvre book?” and she quickly snapped back at me, “No!  THIS is the official book.  Can’t you see that THIS is the official book?  That is what is here!”  She motioned to my book on display.  I was fed up by now.  “I was ONLY ASKING!” I snapped back.  I was done with sales associates today.    I don’t think this lady knows what I went through.  Geeze!
Since the museum was now officially closed, apparently so was the metro station I tried to get back on to go to the hotel.  Great.  I had to walk outside to find another metro station.  Looking back at it now, I’m glad I got a chance to see the museum at night.  It is truly breathtaking.




I finally made my way back to the hotel and messaged my friend.  I was exhausted.  She joked if I was going to go out.  I forgot it was Friday night.  I told her I wanted to, but I needed to rest first.  I knocked out for an hour.  Once I woke up I messaged my friend again that I was still exhausted.  I wasn’t up for it, but I knew I would regret staying in on a Friday night, especially being in a beautiful city.  My friend asked again, what was I going to do?  I didn’t reply back because I FELL BACK ASLEEP.  Hahahaha!  Once I woke up again, it was now 11pm!  It kept getting later and later by the minute.  My friend thought it was hilarious, but I was perplexed.  I told her if I did go out somewhere, I would have to go to a club so I could stay awake.  I needed some good music to keep me up.  
I jumped out of bed and quickly got ready.  I looked for an uber but the rates were ridiculous!  70 euros for a 10 minute ride???  What a rip off!!  I told my friend I was stuck.  Now what?
I made up my mind.  I messaged her that I was going to go back to where the apple store was.  Out there were a bunch of bistros and bars surrounding the store.  I’ll go and walk down there and have a glass of champagne.  I just had to.


She told me to be careful and off I went.  There were people on the streets so I wasn’t worried about my safety.  Plus my hotel had a 24 hour concierge which I liked.  I looked for a busy bar and quickly found Le Germain.  From the outside window I could see people dancing and enjoying themselves.  My kind of place!
I went inside and made my way to the bar.  I waited and waited.  The bartender did glance at me but he continued to talk to a group in front of him.  Another woman walked up beside me and was waiting as well.  He looked over and again continued to talk to the group.  I felt shunned but wasn’t going to walk out of there.  The music was too good.  Lol.  Finally he walked over and asked if I needed something.  I ordered my drink but waived to him to take care of the lady next to me before he got back to his group.  I joked to that lady about the bartender but she replied back in French.  I told her I didn’t understand and she spoke to me in broken English.  We were getting along well.  She told me she got into a fight with her boyfriend and that’s why she was alone.  



After our drink she asked if I wanted to go somewhere else.  I said sure.  “It’s around the corner”, she said.  We walked around onto a busy side street.  There were a bunch of pubs and people were all over the street.  We walked into a pub and headed downstairs.  I’ve never seen so many happy-go-lucky French people singing along.  I was surprised but I loved it!  I like seeing people having a blast.  I bought a drink for my new friend and we walked in the other rooms.  At one point we headed to another area downstairs where they had dance music.  I really liked it in there!  One thing about Parisians is their love of dance music!  I ended up meeting more people and we were all dancing and having fun.  My new friend went upstairs to talk to some friends she knew.  My new group wanted to go to another club.  They asked if I wanted to go and I said yes.  We went to look for my new friend and we exchanged Facebook information to keep in touch.  I was excited to see where the night would take me.



We took a cab to the other club.  It was at the riverwalk by the Seine river.  We walked into Faust nightclub and I was blown away!  Disco led lights filled the ceiling.  People were going crazy for the music.  I felt I was at a rave but filled with beautiful people.  Lol.  I got what I came for; good dance music and a night out in Paris!  I’m so glad I met such wonderful people.  They made my night!



No comments:

Post a Comment