Friday, January 20, 2017

Holidays are OVER! part 5

Well today is the day I have been dreading for weeks.  We have a new president in office; one whom I did not vote for.  Over the weeks, I have witnessed his supporters come out of the wood works.  They voice their reasoning on why they chose to put him in office.  I have observed that they usually dislike him, or pick out ONE legitimate stance that they agreed upon.  And that's about it.  I am still pretty confused on how someone can vote like that, but there you have it.
During the holidays, I was aware that the upcoming year was going to have changes.  My mom had entered retirement.  My job had some talk going around.  And now we have a new presidency.  The future seemed unsure.  I tried to enjoy the moments I had with my family and friends but with the holiday burn out I was experiencing, the tension was back firing.  On Christmas Eve stress left me with tension on my shoulders.  I was pooped out.  I didn't realize that I was spreading myself thin.  On top of that, I had rejected two birthday parties and two weekend getaways during the holiday season.  There was simply no way I could do it all but I felt bad rejecting my friends.  I look back now and realize I made the right decision.  In the end, you HAVE to take care of yourself.  What good would it do to be a complete mess for your family and friends?
My dad was hosting a Christmas Day dinner for me and my brothers.  I knew I couldn't miss this.  This was a nice tradition that had started some years ago on the part of my dad.  If you remember, he was not a part of my life for some time, and we reconnected in my mid 20s. 
Some things had lingered from the night before at my aunt's that had me question my dad.  He wasn't around for part of our lives, but I knew he could give me some insight on my family.  During dinner I asked a lot of personal questions this time, mostly to mend the loops I've heard from my mom's side of the family.  I feel I received some clarity, although the next day I ended up telling my mom some of my conversation with my dad.  I guess I thought I could continue this conversation about my family, but instead it got her irritated.  I forgot how much my mom suffered without my dad being around for us, and those feelings were deeply rooted.  Here I was poking my head in someone's business that was not intended for me and my brothers to know.  But I still felt I had a right to ask.
I want to know why things were the way they were.  I want to know about relatives that I've shared brief encounters with.  I wanted to know how things came to light and how people handled the changes throughout their lives.  It was interesting to me, plus it made me learn about my mom and her family more.  Parents seem to think they can place certain information to you, and that they  would be our truths, when in actuality it's not.  It's biased.  It's one-sided.  It's half of the story.
For some years me and my mother had our issues and sometimes wouldn't speak to one another.  I wanted to know why we chose to deal things liked that.  Now that we have a reoccurring relationship, how can I preserve that?  How do I handle her anger and frustrations if she doesn't agree with me?  A daughter needs to know.
In the end, I am grateful I had the opportunity to talk to my dad about other issues besides Chicago politics and sports.  I think me and my brothers learned a lot from him that night and I choose not to feel bad about what I did.  The last thing I want my mom to think is that I'm siding with him when I'm just trying to learn about our family's history. 
What do you think?  Was I out of line?
Best x-mas gift I got this year! 



Me and my younger brother...
Me and my dad talking about family stuff.  I'm not sure if he has selective memory, but it was interesting hearing him out.
His wife made pozole for us.  Perfect for a wintery day!
The green sauce is always the spicier sauce!
The rest of my family at the dinner table.  We had a good time chatting away...

No comments:

Post a Comment