Thursday, September 24, 2015

Spoil yourself BUT take care of business FIRST!

Following up my June events, was a quick birthday party for my co-worker friend at Irazu restaurant in Wicker Park.  Irazu is a Costa Rican restaurant and has been in the neighborhood since 1990.  I LOVE their empanadas!  It's BYOB as well, so I rushed over to a liquor store nearby and brought over a bottle of wine.  We had a good time with her friends and family.  AGAIN, it was pretty nippy out so they had the heat lamps on full blast while we dined outside.  I got a chance to wear my birthday-present-to-myself gift which this year is a leopard print Alexander McQueen scarf!  I was a happy camper knowing I could rock a scarf in June!  lol
As I've gotten older, gifts in general have been a touchy subject for me.  First of all, if people ask what I would like to do for my birthday, I go in a panic.  I NEVER have an idea on what I would like to do, much less, what I would like to receive on my birthday in general.  Boyfriends in the past have gotten me things they THINK I would appreciate, and I do.  I think for me as long as I'm with my friends and loved ones, that's all that really matters to me.  Not some table service bonanza with a few of my "closest" friends.  It's definitely not my style as well as asking for elaborate gifts.
But on the subject of "elaborate", I've had loved ones get me things that I know I could have lived without, but deep down know it cost them a pretty penny.  I started to feel bad because I felt responsible for them spending so much on me especially if I didn't appreciate the thought of their gesture.  To me, I was more mortified they spent so much on me, and always felt guilty about it.  Feeling guilty is NOT something you should feel on your birthday, so I decided a long time ago not to accept any gifts (if they ask what I would like) and get the things I DO secretly wish for on my own.  If friends want to take me out to dinner that's fine, since we will be catching up which I enjoy very much so.  A bottle of wine?  Sure!  Who doesn't love vino?  But costly gifts are not for me unless I get it myself. 
Since I started this I've very much enjoyed my gifts-to-myself.  I treat myself to Valentine's Day and Christmas too.  They are my treasures and I take pride in my taste!  lol!  I know what value my gifts add to my closet as well as my self esteem.  Yes it's true.  Studies have suggested that wearing certain items can boost your self confidence.  But it's important to add not to let material things run your life.  The last thing you want to do is get yourself in debt because you felt you NEEDED a pair of Christian Louboutins in your wardrobe. 
Let's talk about "lifestyle".  It amazes me when people get celebrity obsessed because we clearly know that most of the time, fashion designers give away most of their goods for FREE.  They just want the exposure celebrities will bring to their brand.  For the average citizen, walking around in $1500 pair of heels are not practical.  But people LOVE the luxury of these items so there goes the sound of a credit card swipe. 
I'm no different as anyone else.  WE ALL WANT NICE THINGS.  But you HAVE to be practical and not get into debt.  Since I knew my birthday was coming up and I had my eye on my scarf, I didn't shop for weeks so I could secretly save up in the meantime.  Yes I did pay by credit card, but I made sure I was good to go for the next couple of months on payments.  My credit cards are purposely on a low credit limit so I don't get out of control with my spending.  For some, having a high credit limit makes them believe they have all of this credit to spend, when in actuality it simply means credit card companies recognize how responsible you've been in the past, (and hope you will get irresponsible in the future).  
I've had my share of credit card problems, and I've learned to manage my debt over the years.  Wearing my scarf is proof that I buy practical items that fit into my lifestyle and not one of a celebrity.
Let's get this party started!!

The birthday girl and me with a friend...

B.Y.O.B at Irazu

Stepped out for a bit at a nightclub.  I felt a litte underdressed wearing jeans but we made it a short night anyway.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment