Friday, June 1, 2018

Foggia: Day Two

Luckily we got up in time to catch some pastries and fruit from our hotel before we met up with our 3rd companion.  He was a makeup artist flown in from New York who happens to be a good friend of the bride.  We decided the night before to leave at a reasonable time since Roma Termini seemed chaotic.  Our new friend grabbed some grub outside the station, but I made the mistake of looking for something to munch on inside.  Not only were we in rush hour, but it’s not the same quick service we are used to in the States.  I decided to eat the snacks I brought along with me and hope we would have a bite to eat once we get there.  We had the fast train which would get us in Foggia in less than 4 hours.
I managed to bring my carry on to Rome, but my new friends both had two suitcases with them.  I helped the makeup artist with his and we made our way to the line.  There we met the 4th traveler from the States who had arrived earlier in the week.  She seemed a bit upset so far, but was relieved when she knew we were all here together.  Unfortunately, we had no idea which line to get into, and had to wait for the announcement on the electric board to see where to go.  Everything was happening so fast, but we found the correct platform.  We had different carts, but our train was full so we couldn’t switch seats around.  We understood we had to get off at Foggia.
I tried to go to sleep but it didn’t go well.  As we were getting closer, I tried calling my friend but the signal was too weak.  The wifi on the train was a joke, and along with other hot spots in Europe, was not working properly.  Eventually, me and my friend DID manage to speak for a second, and she informed me someone else would be picking us up at the station when we arrived.  She warned me he would be running late.
We got off at our stop.  I noticed that the train would stop for barely two minutes to load and unload passengers.  It was nerve wrecking.  My friend informed the 4th traveler that there would be no time to grab a bite to eat and to find something at the train station.  Since we knew our ride was going to be late, we found the café and settled in.  I waited patiently outside after I had my panini. 
Our ride happened to be the groom’s brother and yes, he was pretty late.  No worries.  I knew we weren’t far from our new home.  My new friends got a chance to see the REAL ITALY, which was eye opening to say the least.  They noticed what a small town my friend really lives in; not the massive Rome they had encountered earlier.
We made it to my friend’s place!  She greeted us right away, but now her and the makeup artist had to get to work.  He had to do a pre-makeup look so he could have an idea on what to prepare for the big day tomorrow.  I eventually crashed on the couch, and the others napped in their room.
I knocked out so hard I didn’t know what was going on.  We had more guests arrive at the townhouse!  The bride’s aunt and uncle from Puerto Rico.  By this time, my friend had went to the hair salon to get her hair done.  The makeup artist rested up, and I started to get ready.  I knew they were throwing a big barbeque, but it was happening early in the evening.  Nap time was over.
Once my friend arrived we had a time limit.  We had to make our way to the countryside for the party.  Everyone had to be ready soon in order for us to get there at a reasonable hour.
My friend didn’t like what I had on so she let me borrow her maxi dress instead.  I swear, I can never figure out what to wear out here.
The countryside was beautiful!  We ended up at Cantina La Marchesa and saw what the commotion was about.  Someone was roasting lamb and goat and it looked delish.  There we got more comfortable with one another and started taking pictures to kill some time.  I have to say, this was the best part of our evening.  It was nice seeing old friends and talking to new ones about the wedding.  Everyone seemed excited about tomorrow.
There was music and food and lots of wine.  We got back home close to midnight.  My friend and the makeup artist had to get up at 6am in order to get the makeup process done.  We had changed into our pjs when the doorbell kept ringing and ringing.  My friend looked out the window and saw a crowd.  “OH NO!!”  “What?”, I asked.  “They’re here to serenade me!!” she yelled back.  Well this was a first for me!
My friend put on a robe and we were right behind her when she opened the door.  Sure enough, a group of 20 were standing out on the street and started singing songs while one of them played the guitar.  It was the sweetest thing I’ve ever witnessed!  The groom ran up and gave the bride flowers.  This was the last time he would be able to see her until the wedding… 





No comments:

Post a Comment